Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Mooncakes

I don't know when this craving for mooncakes has started, it seems like I can't stop visiting the mooncakes booths in Jurong Point.

The main reasons for going is to look for my favourite mooncake: Flaky Teochew 'Oor Nee' Mooncakes.

The Original Ex-Crown Prince Flaky Teochew 'Oor Nee' Mooncake
with Golden Japanese Pumpkin from Peony Jade

Unlike most other mooncakes which is filled with lotus seed paste, this beauty is filled with yam paste.

Of course, after several years, some restaurants decided that yam is not enough and they decided to add new punch to traditions.

As seen in the picture above, Peony Jade added pumpkin paste to it. I don't know how the pumpkin one taste like since the Peony Jade booth don't provide samples of it at the Jurong Point booth. I think its strange to have a booth but not provide samples for all the flavours that they are advertising. And if I need to buy them, I will have to make a trip down to their Clarke Quay restaurant to pick it up.

I have only tasted the ones from Pioneer Wharf and the memory of its taste is fading already. But if I have not remembered wrongly, I think it doesn't taste too sweet and the yam smell isn't overpowering.

But it has been good every year. My husband's brother has been a loyal customer of  Raffles Hotel's snowskin mooncakes and, I (ahem), have been the lucky recipient of his generosity - the delicious snowskin mooncake with champagne truffle and ganache - name sounds like a mouthful but it tastes really good.

Snow-Skin Mooncake with Champagne Truffle and Ganache from Raffles Hotel

Anyway, I hope I'll get to eat some more mooncakes before I pop.

No comments:

Post a Comment