Saturday, November 30, 2013

Hospital Bag: things to bring for your delivery and admissions to NUH

Packing your hospital bag for delivery

Even with a packing list, I tend to overpack on most occasions. So for my third child I decided to trust my instincts and go for the bare essentials when packing my hospital bag.


What NUH will provide in a class A ward*:
  1. 1 pair of bathroom slippers
  2. 1 pack of disposable panties
  3. Change for each day: hospital gown with nursing access
  4. 1 pack of sanitary pads: Kotex brand with no adhesives
  5. 1 pack of diapers: brand depends; I had Pampers in Sep 2009 and Huggies in Nov 2013 
  6. 1 pack of wet wipes: brand depends; mine was Pigeon
  7. 1 box of tissue
  8. 1 feeding schedule notebook: for you to record the baby's feeding pattern
*you can bring home any unfinished item.

For yourself: 
  1. Clothes: 1 set; You might not be able to fit into your pre-pregnancy clothes yet, so do bring one set of maternity clothes.
  2. Nursing bras: 2 sets; in case I need to stay the maximum of 3 days and 2 nights. The last day is a half day as you are required to check out by noon.
  3. Bra extensions: 2 pieces
  4. Panties: 1 piece; NUH provides a pack of disposable panties so I brought only 1 for change on the day of discharge
  5. Disposable breast pads: about 15 pairs for 3 days; you probably need 4-6 pairs per day. Lesser if you don't leak.
  6. Optional: 
    1. 2 sets of clothes: if you don't want to wear their gaudy hospital gowns. For me, I wore their gowns as they have nursing access and are very comfortable. 
    2. Your own sanitary pads: the lochia (blood discharge after delivery) can be very frequent and thick during the first few days.
For the baby:
  1. 1 top and 1 long pants or full suit: I won't recommend rompers as it's not easy wearing them for a newborn especially if you are a first time mum. For the top, you can bring either long sleeves or short sleeves.
  2. 1 pair of mittens and socks: if his clothes doesn't cover his hands and feet
  3. Wrapping blanket: mine comes with a pocket at one corner for the head.
  4. Optional: Hat
For admissions:
  1. Your NUH appointment card
  2. Your NRIC
  3. Any letter indicating medical attention for either you or the baby.
For birth registration:
  1. Your marriage certificate: bring the actual thing, not the copy
  2. Your hubby's NRIC
  3. Recent transaction records of your active bank account: for the cash gift to be deposited
If you have older children, you will need to prepare their stay-over bags as well. I sent my kids to their grandparents when I had to go to the hospital for delivery.

For older kids:
  1. Depending on their age, 2-3 sets of change per kid
  2. 1 set of pyjamas per kid
  3. Their favorite toy
So is my list similar to yours? 

No comments:

Post a Comment